Sunday, July 27, 2014

Turning the Page - New Library, New Adventure

As many of my readers know, I have recently had a large shift in my career.  I have gone from the Young Adult/Teen Services Librarian at the lovely and quaint Clarion Free Library to the Youth Services Librarian at the wondrous and new Pembroke Public Library.  I am very happy with this transition and am learning the little quirks and qualities that make it what the community sees today.

I do love all libraries - I even make it a point to try and visit a nearby library whenever I travel.  Each is splendid in its own way as it represents the freedom to learn, create, and discover for everyone.  There is no denying, however, that while each holds the same underlying values, each is unique in exquisite ways.

One Many of These Things is Not Like the Other


The differences are the things you need to learn an deal with on your feet.  This is where it got a little overwhelming and I started to fear for my very librarian life.  But these things just take getting used to!

The sheer size of this new library was the biggest (no pun intended) change to cope with.  Everything is bigger: library square footage, budget, programming, displays, and more.  After two days of attempting to learn the layout along with the collection, vendors, staff member names, and where to find a stapler, I asked where the extra crafting supplies were kept.  Another librarian casually said, "Oh, that's in the attic," to which I almost fell out of my casual work flats and exclaimed, "There's an attic too?!"


This is something I had to stop being surprised about after the first week or I would have spent my entire time just wandering around the library, trying to memorize the locations of books and authors (that will just come with time).

The other big thing was the actual system the library utilized; every library I have worked in (with the exception of school libraries, which all used Destiny) has used a different Circ system.  This is just fine as every library has a different way to do things and different expectations for their technology.  Every system, however, looks so incredibly different and often even has varying terminology (in rare instances).  This I am still actually getting the hang of, but I can, at the very least, check books in and out without setting anything on fire.

What Every Librarian Can Know


So we've established there's a lot going on and a lot to figure out in this new position.  What's left with which I could comfortably settle in and establish my place?  How could I contribute when I hardly know which way is up in such a new library? Well...



Books!  And the people who want to read them!  Within just my first few days, I had already been asked for some book suggestions and Reader's Advisory.  I am not as familiar with the collection as I would like to be, but I know the basics.  And a few tours around the stacks did not go amiss either.

I have been able to recommend a read-aloud for a parent who just finished reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis to her six-year-old son and was looking for similar books (Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo & Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster), a picture book for someone who was looking for zombie reads (Zombelina by Kristyn Crow with two more on order), a book for a teen who only recently found out that she actually liked reading (thanks to Sonya Sones!), and a good handful of summer reading list selections.  This is one of my favorite things about being a librarian so I am glad I was able.

As a side note - thank the stars above for Geronimo Stilton and, more recently, Thea Stilton.  This series is one of my go-to books for kids who are just getting into independent reading and are not quite sure how to go about it or what they will even like.  I visit this section of the library more than any other because these books really catch the attention of new readers from the inside out and the series has already reached over 50, not even including the many spin-offs that the same character has appeared in.  Plenty of material to draw from!

Just seeing that shelf of yellow book spines was comfort enough.
In addition to books, I should note the many interactions I have had that have very little to do with reading, but still everything to do with the library.  Like when another librarian and I discussed the logistics of fairies visiting the library at night with an adorable five-year-old.  Or when I introduced myself to a teen who noticed my Doctor Who poster and we discussed our favorite doctor (10th) at length before she asked if we would ever do a Doctor Who event (why not?!).  All of these are just as important and wonderfully attached to the library, making the job even better.  Another blogger, The Mockingjay, makes this point quite succinctly with stories and statistics alike - if you're interested in seeing the value of libraries beyond books, you can check out his latest post here.

So, as I adjust, plan, and learn, I am still able to make the library a more friendly, open place by chatting up patrons and recommending something that they could fall in love with by the final page.  The library awaits!



No comments: