Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Storytime: It's So Fluffy!

Wiggle Song: Wiggle Song

I wiggle my fingers. I wiggle my toes.
I wiggle my shoulders, and I wiggle my noes.
I wiggle with a jump. I wiggle with a run
I wiggle with a bump (sit down). And I wiggle till I'm done.
Now mo more wiggles are left in me.
So I will be still and quiet as can be.   
 

Hello Song: Let's All Go to Storytime

Let's all go to storytime (clap to song)
Storytime
Storytime
Let's all go to storytime
We'll have some fun today
Yay! (throw hands up in the air) 

Sing song three times: First very slowly, then at a normal pace, then very fast! 
 

Discussion Questions

Show students a cotton ball. What is this?  How would you describe it?   

Today we have some stories about other fluffy things.  Can you name some?  Answers included bunnies, chicks, clouds, etc.

Story Selections:

https://www.amazon.com/Unicorn-Named-Sparkle-Amy-Young/dp/0374301859        https://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Story-Time-Sandy-Asher/dp/0803739443/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1488299552&sr=1-1&keywords=chicken+story+time


Story: A Unicorn Named Sparkle by Amy Young

This is a longer story for ages 2-5, but they held on till the end!  The adults let out a huge "Aw!" when Sparkle and Lucy are reunited at the end.  

To make the book a little more interactive, I asked the kids to make a "Bah!" sound when Sparkle misbehaves and asked them to stomp their feet and clap their hands to make the thunderstorm sound that scare the unicorn.

Movement Rhyme: Once There was a Snowman (from Jbrary)

Once was there was a snowman, snowman, snowman 
Once there was a snowman 
Tall, tall, tall 
In the sun he melted, he melted, he melted 
In the sun he melted 
Small, small, small

Shaker Song: Popcorn (from the Snack Time album by the Bare-Naked Ladies)

Pass out shakers and practice being little popcorn kernels.  Be sure to mentioned that heat makes popcorn pop.  Now turn up the heat and play the song!
 

Story: Chicken Story Time by Sandy Asher

A very short story that was appreciate by both the little ones and the caregivers. I was sure to point out that our storytime goers were much better behaved.


Closing Song: Tickle the Clouds



Craft: Cloud Shapes (inspired by The Teachy Teacher as based on the book It Looked Like Spilt Milk by Charles G. Shaw)

  • Pre-cut 1/2 sheets of blue construction paper
  • Pre-cut clouds with the prompt "I looked up in the sky and thought I saw ________,  but it was a cloud."
  • Cotton balls (3-5 per child)
  • Glue
  • Coloring/writing tools 
 
Some kids were more abstract in their art than others.

No comments: