Monday, March 13, 2017

Storytime: Birds (Peep!)


Wiggle Song: Wiggle Song


I wiggle my fingers. I wiggle my toes.
I wiggle my shoulders, and I wiggle my noes.
I wiggle with a jump. I wiggle with a run
I wiggle with a bump (sit down). And I wiggle till I'm done.
Now mo more wiggles are left in me.
So I will be still and quiet as can be.   
 

Hello Song: Let's All Go to Storytime

Let's all go to storytime (clap to song)
Storytime
Storytime
Let's all go to storytime
We'll have some fun today
Yay! (throw hands up in the air) 

Sing song three times: First very slowly, then at a normal pace, then very fast! 
 

Discussion Questions

I first showed the kids a bird nest of a Chickadee and a blue robin's egg shell.  They were fascinated and jostling a little to get a better view.  After we calmed down a little I asked the kids what kinds of birds they knew, leading us to our first story about nocturnal birds (owls!).
 

Story Selections:


https://www.amazon.com/Caterina-Perfect-Party-Erin-Eitter/dp/0803739028


Story: Hoot and Peep by Lita Judge

This is an adorable story of two owl siblings.  Hoot insists that owls only say, "Hoo!"  But Peep wants to find her song in the sounds around them.  Judge's story is great to get the kids "hoot"ing and "peep"ing through each page.

Scarf Song: Zoom, Zoom, Zoom! We're Going to the Moon! with scarves (from Jbrary)

Hoot and Peep love to come out at night when the moon is high in the sky.  Why don't we go visit the moon today?

Zoom zoom zoom we’re going to the moon
If you’d like to take a trip
Climb aboard my rocket ship
Zoom zoom zoom we’re going to the moon
5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ... Blast off! (jump up) 

Scarf Song: Tchaikovsky's Russian Dance from "The Nutcracker"

I often play this song for both toddler and baby storytimes.  We pretended to be in our rocket ships, flying among the stars and zooming through space!  Really we were just tossing our scarves around and twirling in circles to the music, but that's the power of imagination!

Scarf Song: Popcorn Kernals (from Jbrary)

After a trip to the moon, we needed a snack.

Popcorn kernels (repeat) 
In the pot (repeat) 
Shake them shake them shake them (repeat) 
Till they pop! (repeat)
 

Story: Caterina and the Perfect Party by Erin Eitter Kono


Caterina wants to throw the perfect party, but the weather has other ideas.  This book is a fun story, but the other Caterina adventure (Caterina and the Lemonade Stand) has a much better storyline.  I selected this as it was shorter, but ultimately wish I had gone with the other.


Closing Song: Tickle the Clouds



Craft: Birds of a Feather

  • Pre-cut bird outlines
  • Feathers
  • Glue (bottled)
  • Coloring tools

No comments: