Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Storytime: In the Jungle (The Mighty Jungle)

Wiggle Song: Wiggle Song

I wiggle my fingers. I wiggle my toes.
I wiggle my shoulders, and I wiggle my noes.
I wiggle with a jump. I wiggle with a run
I wiggle with a bump (sit down). And I wiggle till I'm done.
Now mo more wiggles are left in me.
So I will be still and quiet as can be.   
 

Hello Song: Let's All Go to Storytime

Let's all go to storytime (clap to song)
Storytime
Storytime
Let's all go to storytime
We'll have some fun today
Yay! (throw hands up in the air) 

Sing song three times: First very slowly, then at a normal pace, then very fast! 
 

Discussion Questions

We are traveling for storytime today.  This is a place with tall trees, monkeys, tigers, and elephants.  Does anyone know where that is?  The jungle!

Story Selections:


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16650266-count-the-monkeys?ac=1&from_search=truehttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27206651-follow-me?ac=1&from_search=true
    

Story/Flannel Activity: Count the Monkeys by Mac Barnett and Kevin Cornell

Always a storytime favorite!  There is a chance for interaction on each page as well as counting.

Scarf Intro Song: Scarf Hokey Pokey

You put your scarf in.
You put your scarf out.
You put your scarf in
And your shake it all about!
You do the hokey pokey
And you turn your scarf around.
That's what it's all about! 

Second verse: You put your scarf high/low ... And you shake it to and fro! 

Dancing Song (with scarves): Rick Goldin's Sit Down, Stand Up Song

Let's be silly like those jungle animals!  Everyone got a scarf and we used our listening ears for the whole song so we knew when to sit down and stand up (this always tires us out quite thoroughly).

Scarf Goodbye Song: Scarf is Sleeping (inspired by Getting Giggles)

Scarf is sleeping, don't wake it up.
Scarf is sleeping, don't wake it up.
Scarf is sleeping, don't wake it up. 
Now we're very quiet. Shh... 

Wake up scarf, it's time to play!
Wake up scarf, it's time to play!
Wake up scarf, it's time to play!
Now we're very loud!

Repeat "scarf is sleeping," then put scarves away.  
 

Story: Follow Me by Ellie Sandall

A cute story of "follow the leader."  I introduced the idea of the game then asked the storytimers to spot the leader (wearing the King's crown) on each page.  We also identified some new species (ring-tailed lemurs and chameleons) and counted the baby lemurs on each page.

Closing Song: Tickle the Clouds

Tickle the clouds,
Tickle your toes.
Turn around
And tickle your nose.
Reach down low.
Reach up high.
Storytime's over.
Wave goodbye!   
 

Craft: Shape Snakes

  • Green paper cut into circular spirals (we had an Ellison shape for this, but you can also do it by had)
  • Foam shapes
  • Glue
  • Wiggle eyes

 

Everyone loved this WAY more than I expected.  Both kids and adults enjoyed the novelty of the shape and the kids really went to town with the glue (as usual).

No comments: