Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Storytime: Spring is Here!

Wiggle Song: Wiggle Song

I wiggle my fingers. I wiggle my toes.
I wiggle my shoulders, and I wiggle my noes.
I wiggle with a jump. I wiggle with a run
I wiggle with a bump (sit down). And I wiggle till I'm done.
Now mo more wiggles are left in me.
So I will be still and quiet as can be.   
 

Hello Song: Let's All Go to Storytime

Let's all go to storytime (clap to song)
Storytime
Storytime
Let's all go to storytime
We'll have some fun today
Yay! (throw hands up in the air) 

Sing song three times: First very slowly, then at a normal pace, then very fast! 
 

Discussion Questions

Winter is over.  Does anyone know what season is next?  What happens in spring? (Discussed snow melting, flowers blooming, baby animals being born)

Story Selections:


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/199354.What_Does_Bunny_See_?ac=1&from_search=true     https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22609854-the-whale-in-my-swimming-pool


Story/Flannel Activity: What Does Bunny See? by Linda Sue Park

We  read this together with a flannel/felt activity.  Each child pick a flannel flower of a different color (matching the story) before we started reading.  When the bunny spots each color, children with a matching flower came up and put it on our board.  I recommend this for ages 3-5 (two-year-olds got a little too excited to put their flowers up!).

Scarf Rhyme: Little Raindrops Falling Down (sung to "London Bridge")

Little raindrops falling down, falling down, falling down 
Little raindrops falling down, falling to the ground 

Little flowers sprouting high, sprouting high, sprouting high 
Little flowers sprouting high Up to the sky!

Scarf Rhyme: The Seal Scrubs His Springtime Coat (inspired by Jbrary's "Walrus Washes His Winter Coat")

The seal scrubs his springtime coat down by the deep blue sea
He adds some water and he adds some soap and he waits...and he waits...and he waits. Then the laundry shakes, shakes, shakes 
The laundry shakes and shakes and shakes 
The laundry shakes, shakes, shakes until it's clean. 
The laundry shakes, shakes, shakes 
The laundry shakes and shakes and shakes 
The laundry shakes, shakes, shakes until it's clean. 
 

Story: The Whale in My Swimming Pool by Joyce Wan

More of a summer story, yes, but I love this book!  I always ask the kids why the whale doesn't fit (Is he too big or too small?) and ask for ideas to get him out of the pool!


Closing Song: Tickle the Clouds



Craft: Paper Flowers (inspired by a Storytime Katie)

  • Cupcake liners pre-glued to popsicle sticks
  • Coloring tools (crayons, markers, do-a-dots, etc.)
  • Insect foam stickers (optional) 

An easy craft that didn't need to dry before being taken home (a bonus as I used this storytime for two preschool field trips this month!).

No comments: